Using rdate to set time gives errors SOLVED

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 7 11:03:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 04:36 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Some time back, I reported problems with using my little script
> to set the time of day on my FC2 machine:
>
> /usr/bin/rdate -s time.nist.gov
> /sbin/hwclock --adjust
> /sbin/hwclock --systohc
>
> I've been getting a report of an alarm, and not getting the time
> properly set. Well, I think I've found the problem. That server
> seems not to be responding.

You might want to Google on that server.  All and sundry shouldn't be
using it.  Ordinary clients should connect to intermediary servers, with
those ones connecting to a stratum 1 server (spreads the load).

Useful info at <http://www.pool.ntp.org/> & <http://www.ntp.org/>

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386