PDAs, parallel printers and USB automounted drives

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Aug 8 03:22:33 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> The early work is going on with Fedora 8 while we on Fedora 7 do not
> have the stocking software for a Palm PDA working,

Fedora 8 works alright for me. I do not have a PDA so I do not
experience the bug. I do have a NOMAD jukebox which was fixed to work
with input provided back to the developer. Report the problem to the
correct component in bugzilla.
Remember that the developer would take a bug report containing relevant
to problem titles and bug descriptions compared to reports like "Strange
Things Going On" or similar titles.

> all new yummed kernels make it impossible to use automount of USB
> devices

I'll have to try a USB device in "Fedora 8 2B" and see if it works. I
have none handy for development testing. For Fedora 7, I can try that at
work.

>and yummed cups will break your printing if your using a parallel port.

The feature should still be there for parallel printers. Report the bug
as to the functionality still being required and what effects it has on
your system functionality regarding printing. I am sure the
functionality will be restored.

> So Fedora 8 is gearing up with Fedora 7 still broken. This seems to
> me as a really stupid way to run a railroad.

Think release cycle with a time based snapshot of current developmental
progress. It would be more obvious if specific time references were
used. But could you imagine a "Fedora 2007 premiere" for the first half
of the year and "Fedora 2007 conclusion" for the remaining portion of
the year. (Of course, not to be confused with w9x,2000)

Jim

--
"Oh dear, I think you'll find reality's on the blink again."
-- Marvin The Paranoid Android