F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-41.fc7 USB stick

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 03:30:06 UTC 2007

--- Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
> >> I wonder if 2.6.22.1-41 will work for you? (It is
> the latest update.)
> >> I couldn't connect with 2.6.22.1-33, though I
> could with the earlier
> >> kernel.
>
> >  I think that the problem here are not directly
> with the kernel, maybe the
> >  martian code is incompatible with kernels >=
> 2.6.22.  The other winmodem
> >  drivers work well with both the newer kernels.  I
> see differences in the
> >  martian_dev.ko sizes.  Maybe that is where the
> problem lies.
>
> Well, I don't have a martian device,
> and I have (or had) exactly the same problem as
> others described -
> the machine hung when trying to activate eth0.
>
> In any case, what do you mean by "not directly with
> the kernel"?
> Are you distinguishing between the kernel proper and
> kernel modules?
> (If so, it doesn't seem to me to matter too much
> where the problem lies,
> or lay.)
>

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
> s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College,
> Dublin 2, Ireland
>
> --

Timothy,

My gut feeling was correct.  The maintainer of the
martian code, Alexei Chentsov, sent me a patch and I
modified the files and recompiled and now I can
connect to the net with the martian modem.

If you look at the threads for August in
discuss at linmodems.org here

http://linmodems.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi/1

[1] martian modem not working with
kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7, wvdial says modem not
responding
[1] --> Modem not responding, martian modem fedora 7
kernels 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 and 2.6.22.1-33.fc7
[2] Re: martian modem with debug option 3
kernel-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
[2] Re: martian modem not working with
kernel-2.6.22.1-41.fc7, wvdial says modem not
responding

Now I can connect using all the new 2.6.22.1-X kernels
thanks to the patch.  The people on the
discuss at linmodems.org and the fedora-list at redhat.com
are very helpful and informative.  One needs to be
patient in the working out of bugs.  Things will get
done.

Regards,

Antonio

Linux Counter # 381662
http://counter.li.org
(Not working/down) :(

Home Page(s):
http://www20.brinkster.com/olivares/
http://www.geocities.com/olivares14031/

[olivares at localhost ~]$ uname -iprm
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 athlon i386
[olivares at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
[olivares at localhost ~]$