Cups

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Aug 8 11:59:22 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 14:42 -0700, Alan M. Evans wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 15:20 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>>       I have learned a lot today and it is all bad. Let us assume
>> the udev
>>> update I got is what ruined my printing. The obvious thing to do is
>>> delete the update. But you can not do that.
>> No. The obvious thing to do is to roll back to an old udev. You would
>> do
>> this by grabbing an old version rpm then replace the new (updated)
>> package with the old one.
>>
> Ok, I'll bite. People keep talking about downgrading a yum install. I
> have never seen how to do this? The old yum rpm is no longer in the
> database that I can find.
>
> In any case it is not a udev problem. The updated cups does not support
> parallel printers. Is that not a bug?
>
> --
> Youth is a disease from which we all recover. -- Dorothy Fuldheim
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net

	Yes it is a bug. It appears now in bug 251272 that the udev update was
the one that stopped udev from making parallel ports on /dev/. and that
is the root of the problem. I changed both udev and cups and it appears
now that changing only udev and a reboot would have made  printing work
again.

	If your using a USB printer none of this will hurt you and your printer
is still working.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User