F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 - amazing statements

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Aug 8 17:47:46 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> I don't know of any Fedora application that works
>> with Fedora kernel 2.6.x.y-n
>> that does not work equally well with vanilla kernel 2.6.x.y .
>> That is what I mean by orthogonal.

> We just had a case where the installed version of udev did not work with
> one of the kernel versions on some machines.

Please note what I asked for:
a case where udev worked with 2.6.x.y-n but not with 2.6.x.y .

I've run Fedora with compiled versions of 2.6.m
(up to 2.6.22 which I'm running now)
and had no problem with udev.

Of course you need an appropriate .config file.
I've no doubt it is possible to choose options which confuse udev.

>> I asked you for an example of this.
>> You didn't given one, so I assume you cannot find one.
>
>> > Currently the kernels are distributed compiled for several cpu
>> versions
>> > so that is not something that needs to be done by the user.
>>
>> Not true.
>> None of the distribution kernels I have seen
>> use CPU choices that accurately match any of the machines I have.

> What do you make of the fact that the 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 kernel came in two
> rpms. One called 2.6.22.1-33.fc7.i586 and the other called

Why don't you do what I suggest,
and look at the .config files for these kernels?

I just looked at kernel.i686 2.6.22.1-41.fc7
and the CPU choice was "Generic architecture".
There are many other places where "generic" choices are (necessarily) made.
If in fact this is just as good as making the choice
reflecting one's actual hardware,
it is difficult to see why one should be given a choice.

This kernel, incidentally, is almost twice as large
as my compiled kernel,
while the /lib/modules/ directory is 8 times as large.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366