udev

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Aug 9 18:24:05 UTC 2007

    After re-booting I checked and indeed it has the parallel port
problem solved. Observe:

[karl at k5di ~]$ ls /dev/lp*
/dev/lp0  /dev/lp1  /dev/lp2  /dev/lp3
[karl at k5di ~]$

This is better than the old udev.

    Yes and the printer still works. Good job somebody!

    Now to get the new kernel(s) and see how they co-exist with this
udev. I had to get to where the yum would let me have a kernel. Then I
d/l the kernel-2.6.22.1-41.fc7 which didn't work at ALL with the older
udev but it booted up and I found that my USB things are now working
just fine. The gmfsk I like is still working fine.

    The only thing still not working is Skype. It works with the old
kerenel and the new udev, but not with the new kernel. Skype is kind of
a problem anyway, so not a bad problem.

    In summary I have the new udev, udev-113-9.fc7 which has made it
possible for the new kernel to work. It appears the so called new kernel
problems were udev problems instead.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User