Auto updating DNS?

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Aug 10 01:19:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 21:06 -0400, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> Not totally on topic but I (hope) think its close enough.
>
> The situation is this, I have a DNS server that own and have full
> control of it runs FC6, and it holds the SOA record for my domain.
>
> My home machine is behind a router providing NAT, the router receives
> its address via DHCP, and although its address rarely changes I would
> like my home system to automatically update the record on the
> nameserver.  Currently I use a CNAME
> (eg  HOME     3600  IN        CNAME      providersfqdn.provider.com. )
>
> Any pointers to updating this automatically?

Yes, you can use "nsupdate" to update the DNS service...provided that
you configured the DNS server to accept updates.  This is called "DDNS"
(dynamic DNS).  You can google DDNS for more info.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-        "And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode."       -