Internet slow down related to the firewall

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Aug 10 07:40:52 UTC 2007

> 	How can the firewall cause the speed to be good for 2 or 3 seconds
> (1.5Mb) and then fall to 30Kbit?  Anyone?

There is actually rate limiting stuff in iptables, but presumably you
would know if you had enabled it.

You don't specify what kinds of "internet" access you tried, was it just
http or you saw the same problem all over?

I would re-enable the firewall, confirm the problem comes back and then
post the results of

iptables -L -n

and the early part of

tcpdump

while you try to make a transfer that is affected.

-Andy