The case against LVM

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 10 13:24:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> > Well, the "x" in your example can take the RE form "[a-z]+".  For
> > example, we have some storage arrays with, oh, 130 LUNs on them.  They
> > appear as /dev/sda[1-15] through /dev/sdiv[1-15]
>
> But you won't get this with the standard Fedora installation, which
> I assume is what people are talking about. You will be told you have
> disks /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, or whatever, and asked how you want to
> partition them.

not to harp on this, but can someone confirm that, with standard hard
disks and partitioning, the limits are:

1) 4 primary partitions
2) only one of which can be extended
3) that extended partition can hold up to 12 logical partitions (this
limit is different from IDE to SCSI, as i recall)

  in any event, it's simply not true that you can have an unbounded
number of logical partitions on a single drive, unless something's
changed drastically lately.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA