Cups

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 10 15:12:53 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> As someone who opposed blaming udev I need to reply. It is true that
> with the previous udev 113-8 no /dev/lp* files were formed.. With
> udev-133-9 your get them. Which itself is strange on my machine without
> a parallel port.

The change create the lp devices even if there are no lp ports on
the system. I am not sure this is the correct fix, as this does not
automatically load the lp module, so you can have the devices, but
not the module required to use them. You also get device entries for
devices that may not be on your system. The funny part is that
before the change to always create them, running "modprobe lp" would
give you the lp devices for the ports you actually have on the
system, and CUPS would list them when adding a printer.

Mikkel