Dumb curiosity question re new ASUS motherboard installation.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 10 15:48:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 23:19 -0400, William Case wrote:
> But, the manual that came with the motherboard has setup disks etc.
> The manual warns to do the setups and BIOS upgrades from a Windows
> only operating system.  My question is; what do people do who only
> have a Linux OS?  Are the setup CD's only useful to Window's users?
> Or, is that warning only for liability protection?

I've yet to see motherboard setup discs have anything other than Windows
files on them.  If you're lucky, you can boot from a CD or floppy to
update a BIOS, and don't have to have Windows installed.

And if you're really lucky, there's a BIOS option that you can use to
update from any media.  Just like you can press DEL to enter the BIOS
while starting up the PC, some have other keys to manage updating the
BIOS in the same way.  You press a button and provide a BIOS file in
some place that it expects.

For what it's worth, the discs that come with motherboards are often
quite old by the time you get them.  You're probably best looking at the
manufacturer's website for the latest files.

BIOS updates update the BIOS on the motherboard, and they're useful to
you, no matter what OS you use.  But drivers for the on-board hardware
(IDE, sound, etc.), are for the Windows OS, they update files within
Windows, they don't do anything to the hardware.  So you can ignore
them.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386