Re: How can you get a Seagate USB 160 GB drive to mount?

rlengland verizon net wrote:

> I created the fstab entry only to test whether the device worked.
> I'll remove it.
>
> I don't think I've placed a label on an external device after the
> fact. What is the procedure? And does it have any harmful effects on
> data on the device?
>
> This drive has someone's complete audio collection on it and they
> would prefer to not loose it. :-)

How to do it depends on the file system. For 2e/e3 file systems,
e2label will add a label without affecting the file system. For
(V)FAT file systems, I have not found a good way to add a label
under Linux. You can add one under windows without any problems.

Mikkel