Can't import certificate due to end of file error

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Fri Aug 10 18:49:42 UTC 2007

Arch Willingham wrote:
> Yes and I have gone back and re-exported it every way from Sunday "DER Encoded Binary X.509", "Base64 Encoded X.509", etc....none of that worked. I also did the dos2unix thing but that did not fix it either.

Hi Arch,

Another thing that's important is that the content of the certificate
file has the following sandwiching the raw data:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
<data goes here>
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

If you either have more data in the file than the above or have
forgotten to include the beginning and ending certificate lines then
you'll run into problems.

Another thing to think about is what kind of certificate you are trying
to import.  If you are using a file like sendmail.pem, you'll have to
extract the public part of the certificate out of the file and save it
as a different file to make it work.  What kind of certificate are you
exporting/importing and for what kind of application?

Tom