FC7 dhcp resolv.conf

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Aug 10 19:46:09 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

> For what it's worth, here DHCP does what it's supposed to do.  If it
> didn't set my client to use the server's DNS server, then I wouldn't be
> able to resolve any domain names.  It also adds the domain name to the
> search path, so that doing "ping hostname" can automatically do a "ping
> hostname.domainname" where it needs to.  This complete configuration
> means that I can take this box from one network to some other, and not
> have to do any manual fiddling for it to work.
>
> What does yours do?

It deletes my opendns nameservers,
and substitutes 192.168.1.1,
which in my case is completely inappropriate.

> If you're using some sort of mixed network, e.g. you have a LAN, but
> that machine also dials up to the internet on a modem, and uses DHCP
> from the ISP, then that's a problem of your implementation of network
> configuration.  Not DHCP, per se.  You have to decide some limits.

I have 2 WiFi LANs and 2 Ethernet LANs,
one just connecting to my ADSL modem.
(This is the one chosen as nameserver by dhclient.)
I sometimes use one WiFi LAN, and sometimes the other.
That probably confuses dhclient.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366