The case against LVM

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Aug 10 19:57:41 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:

> 2. SCSI does not limit LUNs to 16.

I said _Fedora_ limits the number of SCSI partitions
on a single SCSI disk to 16.

There may well be a way to modify this,
but it is not available during a standard Fedora installation.

> 3. Again, the 4 primary partition thing is an artifact from the PC BIOS.
> There are systems that use a totally different partitioning scheme.  The
> disks themselves don't give a toss.

But _Fedora_ standard installation limits each disk to 4 primary partitions
(even though this makes no sense when applied to SCSI disks).

> 4. The virtual partitions inside a primary extended partition are not
> limited to 24 or whatever someone said earlier...that's an artifact of
> the DOS/Windows limiting of hard drive letters to c: through z:.
> There's nothing in the spec that says 24's the limit.

I don't think anyone is talking about SCSI specs, except you.
Everyone else is talking about Fedora.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366