Are the issues with my domain DNS related?

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Sat Aug 11 02:19:01 UTC 2007

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 19:42:15 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 04:30 -0500, Linus Ulrick wrote:
> > I have fully qualified domain: afolkey2.net.  It can USUALLY be
> > found thusly:
> > http://www.afolkey2.net
> >
> > Tonight when I came home from work, I started seeing problems with
> > pages loading.  Try the following to see what I mean:
> > http://www.afolkey2.net/awstats/awstats.pl?config=www.afolkey2.net
> > http://www.afolkey2.net/gallery2/main.php
>
> The website didn't load, first go, here.  But the stats page did.
> Very odd.  Both did eventually load, but both slowly.  Though, since
> the pages I had to look at were all "generated" things (stats and
> photo galleries), that's not uncommon.  Such things are often
> painfully slow, in my experience.

See my response in another part of this thread that explains how I
fixed my problem.  See especially my references to /etc/hosts.
Usually, my gallery works great. Even on a Windows ME dial-up machine
that I tried it on. Of course, sometimes it is a little slow.  What I
was seeing locally (I THINK "locally" is a big key here) was a whole
other animal entirely.

> It should be noted that making stats public can subject you to
> referrer spam:  Spammers linking to your pages, hoping to turn up in
> your stats, and hoping that you publish your stats, or publish what
> refers to you in some other way, so that you give them free
> advertising.  You can get deluged by them, and some quite unsavoury
> things, too.

Point well taken.  The link is now gone.  Thank you very much for
pointing this out to me :)

> It should also be noted that pinging a machine is quite a different
> thing than using some other service on it.  You can get good or bad
> ping responses that are contrary to how their services respond.  All
> a ping test is how they respond to pings.  :-\

You have taught me something else now.  Two things so far in this
email...

Also, I will look through the parts of your response that I trimmed
out and see if there is anything I can use from those parts.

Thank you again for your help.
Steven P. Ulrick