Producing pdf files with copyable text

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 11:01:48 UTC 2007

On 1/11/07, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I didn't have much luck.  I found this PHP class:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcpdf/
> >
> > It does seem to partially work, but I didn't see a front-end for it.
> > I hacked up the test file provided and made an imperfect conversion of
> > the link you sent me.
> >
> > I also saw this:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/acrophobia/
> >
> > But that looks a little dubious.  I may have a peek inside the RPM anyway....
>
> Thanks, Chris. They look a bit complicated to use. It should exist a
> free tool similar to Acrobat Professional for Linux! :-)

When using Acrobat Professional, the pdf files that I obtain from,
e.g., a web-page of a newspaper contain text that one can copy to a
word processor. However, in Linux, with

1. print to a ps file;
2. use ps2pdf to convert to pdf from ps,

the pdf files does not contain copyable text, as the text is
bitmapped. Can one obtain, in Linux, pdf files with copyable text? Any
ideas?

I have tried htmldoc, as suggested, but it does not support utf-8.

Thanks in advance,

Paul