Producing pdf files with copyable text

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Aug 13 01:46:56 UTC 2007

On Sunday 12 August 2007, Paul Smith wrote:
>Thanks to all for your help and patience. The problem is finally solved!
>
>The cause of the problem was the fact that I had msttcorefonts
>installed. After I removed them, I could produce a pdf file with
>copyable text from
>
>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/fedorapeople.org
>
>I have to do an inspection to see whether I have other superfluous
>fonts installed. Could someone please tell me the minimal set of fonts
>that one should have installed to have F7 working fine?
>
>Paul

Paul, your comment just triggered a memory from when I installed FC6 on this
box.  It seems there are _two_ versions of msttcorefonts extant carrying an
identical version number.  One is a tarball and one is an rpm, and the rpm
seems to be broken although I compared them and they compared very well
except the rpm was smaller as it was missing 2 fonts that were in the M$
tarball.

I was never able to make them work, and my system was largely hosed, when I
had installed the version (same version number IIRC) that is available
through the yum/smart/rpm repositories after installing FC6 here.

Knowing I had previously made it work very well on an FC2 system, I bit the
bullet and went to the M$ site and downloaded their version and installed it.

It worked flawlessly, and still is right now.

I also have half a gigabyte of fancy fonts from goldenweb.it, all of which
work very nicely indeed in OOo.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)