how does network install figure out 64-bit from 32-bit?

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 22:11:55 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Rick Stevens <rstevens at internap.com>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 3:03:31 PM
Subject: Re: how does network install figure out 64-bit from 32-bit?

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 12:30 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:11:14 -0700 (PDT)
> Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I was wondering how while doing a network install, the installer would figure out a 64-bit from a 32-bit installation? I am asking this because in both cases, the file to install it is using the same file.
>
> When doing a NFS install (if that's what you mean) you give the installer the
> path to the image that you are installing from.  That's one of the questions
> that it asks at the start of the installation process.
>
> Thanks, very much! I was planning on doing a http install, but I guess it is the same idea....
>
> On this note, I wonder how I can make my Thinkpad T61 boot from the USB flash?
>
> The following are my choices:
>
> 1. USB FDD
> 2. ATAPI CD0:.....
> 3. USB CD:
> 4. ATA HDD0:....
> 5. PCI LAN:.....
> 6. - USB HDD
> 7. ATA HDD1:
> 8.
> Excluded from boot order:
>  : ATA HDD2:
>    ATAPI CD1:
>
> Many thanks and best wishes,

USB HDD is what you want.  A flash disk looks like an HDD (or should) if
you copied the diskboot.img file to it using dd:

    # dd if=/media/dvd/images/diskboot.img of=/dev/sda bs=512

and assuming your flash disk appeared as /dev/sda on the system you
copied it from.  I keep an cheap 128MB flash around for just such use.

Oh, thanks! This will really be something!!

Best,
Trotter:-)