NOUSER

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Aug 14 00:25:22 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 19:50 -0400, Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Vivek:
>  >> James:
>  >>   (4)  Most distros now ship with disallowing ROOT from directly
>  >> SSHing into the box.  But there are also other safeguards you can do.
>  >>    http://www.openssh.com/
>
>  > Fedora/RHEL doesn't seem to be among those distros. But thankfully, it
>  > is part of our server hardening process.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> I have F7; in sshd_config is this:
> #PermitRootLogin yes
>
> Iow, this must be un-commented to allow root login.
>
> Or, am I missing something here?

The commented-out items in a pristine sshd_config are the default
values.  If you check the man page for sshd_config, you'll see:

    PermitRootLogin
        Specifies whether root can log in using ssh(1).  The
	argument must be “yes”, “without-password”,
	“forced-commands-only” or “no”.  The default is “yes”.

So uncomment the line and make it read

    PermitRootLogin no

Then "service sshd restart" to make it take effect.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-      To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the OS       -