Has anyone ever made scanning work?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 01:05:07 UTC 2007

alan wrote:
> Just remember that scanners will not work if they are plugged into a USB
> hub.  Not certain why, but it acts the same under Windows.

I first thought that you were referring to any USB port. I then realized
that you were referring to something like a 4-port Hub. I have not tried
to use one recently but did back when plugging in the scanner once the
GUI user was logged in was a needed step to get scanners to work. (the
console user) The scanner worked through the hub if power cycled or
plugged in after the login.
I guess power-cycling the scanner or plugging in the scanner without a
hub are worth a try. Anything without a lot of hassle would be fine.

Now I use an HP all-in-one printer/scanner and it works without a lot of
hassle. I do have one problem where I have to cycle the power if the
computer was booted into XP recently. Something in that OS scrambles its
readiness. Either that or both just do things differently but with
similar results.

Jim

--
"What George Washington did for us was to throw out the British, so that
we wouldn't have a fat, insensitive government running our country. Nice