Need advice on a internet/gateway/firewall set-up

Langdon Stevenson langdon at lindenrow.com.au
Tue Aug 14 09:09:18 UTC 2007

Thomas Fischer wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I need some advise on the best type of set-up under Fedora including
> configuration examples to build a «dual-homing» gateway/firewall.
>
> The idea is to have the following set-up
>
>    internet_ip_1                  internet_ip_2
>          |                                       |
>          |                                       |
>          ------fedora_gateway-----
>                   internal_network
>
> So that is the network configuration, which will be put into place using
> 3 physical ethernet cards. I am thinking of bonding the 2 internet
> facing ethernet cards but not sure how that would work with the 2
> internet ip addresses.
>
> Any suggestions? How would I load balance the access across both networks?
>
> Thanks for the help

Hi Thomas

I looked at the same issue recently (and had a Fedora system some years
ago that did this).

My conclusion was that it was much cheaper and easier (for me) to just
buy something like a Draytek Vigor 2910 router.  It has dual WAN inputs,
does load balancing, failover etc.  For $380 (Australian) it was the
right solution for me.

If you have the time and energy to invest, then your approach can
certainly work.  I never had load balancing and failover working
thought.  Just dedicated certain traffic to each connection.

Regards,
Langdon