one more time -- broadcom wireless on f7

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 12:49:56 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   at the risk of belabouring this issue (and i'm sure it's way too
> late to be worried about that *now* :-), i'm still interested in
> whether there's a known, reliable and deterministic way to get
> wireless working on f7 (and, additionally, f8t1) on my laptop which
> has a broadcom 4318 chip.

ndiswrapper is the way to go if you have a 4318. My laptop is a year old
and has seen FCs 5-7 and only with FC7 has it been working.
Is your laptop 64bit? If so, keep in mind that you need to use the 64bit
version of the broadcom drivers (bcmwl564.inf). 32bit won't work.

>   seriously, if wireless is really this much of a hassle, fedora is in
> for a rough ride.
AFAIK, broadcom wireless is the leader in the "Won't work" list of
wireless adapters. Intel & Atheros don't seem to have that problem.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218