Raid one

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Aug 14 21:06:55 UTC 2007

    I did a Goggle search and found Linux Journal, Home, RAID-1, Part 1
and 2 by Joe Malmin and Ron Shaker, 2002-08-13 and I have read it like a
book once. It talks to the raid-1 being a superior way to back up your
computer. I learned that raid mirrors partitions not hard drives. You
can use any two hard drives or even the same hard drive! I plan to make
a raid 1 using the two hard drives I have in this computer right now :-)

    One is a 30 GB and this is a 160 GB but f7 is in a partition of 12
GB. So I can make a 12 GB partition on the 30 GB HD and make a raid 1
system between /dev/hda2 and /dev/hdb5.

    The book says if /proc/mdstat exists, you have raid support in your
kernel. I do :-)

    The book set up raid 1 on Red Hat 7 and Debian Potato with the early
kernels 8-)

    It appears I can use the method shown to make a /usr raid 1. I have
/usr backed up on my 9 GB USB device. But the author suggests you put a
copy of /usr on /var/.  We will use mkraid  which  I find I do not have.
Perhaps I can yum it to my system. Perhaps there is a newer tool?

     So like all writing it is dated and old just a couple of years
later. Instaed of using #init 1 so that /usr can be un-mounted, I think
using the rescue mode of the f7 dvd will be easier. Then f7 will be off :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User