how does network install figure out 64-bit from 32-bit?

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 05:18:11 UTC 2007

Hmmm....

> > Assuming the FLASH is /dev/sdb and the ISO is mounted at /media/cdrom,
> > then:
> >
> >     dd if=/media/cdrom/images/diskboot.img of=/dev/sdb bs=512
> >
> > Note the "of=/dev/sdb".  You MUST write to the raw device (/dev/sdb),
> > NOT to the first partition (/dev/sdb1).
> >

> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. I have been using Linux and
> hence the dd command. I have done as you suggested here. But, I now get a
> boot error, which indicates that it is recognized as a boot device, but there
> is clearly an error.
> >
> > So this is what I am doing: Pop the USB flash drive in. Look at nautilus
> and note that it would get mounted on /dev/sdb1 (except I have not mounted
> it). So, then I use the command above, and yank it out. Is this the right
> thing to do?
>
> If you see it in Nautilus, it's being mounted.

But I don't see it as mounted in nautilus. Just that it is there. Indeed, I
make sure it is not mounted.

You need to close the
> Nautilus window first, then right click on the icon in your desktop for
> the FLASH device and "Unmount volume" (or run "umount /dev/sdb1" in a
> terminal as root).  Do NOT unplug the FLASH device or it'll mount again.
>
> Now, with the device unmounted, do the "dd" command, but specify
> "of=/dev/sdb", NOT "of=/dev/sdb1" in the "dd" command.

I have done exactly the same thing. Just to clarify the following is the file I
am copying:

wget -c
http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/diskboot.img

And then I use the dd command:

dd if=/media/dvd/images/diskboot.img  of=/dev/sdb bs=512

but to no avail. Is it possible that I am making a mess somewhere? Is it that
bs has to be something else?

Note that I do potentially get a bootable USB since it says boot error, rather
than OS not found.

Can anyone please help?

Best wishes.
Trotter