one more time -- broadcom wireless on f7 [SUCCESS!!]

Martin Marques martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar
Wed Aug 15 14:24:32 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day escribió:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Martin Marques wrote:
>
>> Robert P. J. Day escribió:
>>>   and the successes keep piling up.  i used exactly the same recipe on
>>> a different model gateway laptop (MX8711 versus MX7120) with a
>>> different broadcom chip:
>>>
>>> * previous: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g]
>>> * new one:  BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI
>> I have this exact one on my Compaq Presario, and Networkmarager just
>> doesn't work with the WLAN.
>>
>> system-config-network and a network restart made it work.
>
> ok, there's another mystery i would like to clear up.  when you say
> you used system-config-network, are you saying that you can actually
> see the broadcom chip?

No. I had to download the firmware and modprobe bcm43xx-80211.

As a matter of fact: The documentation out there on the web is
erroneous. It always talks about using the bcm43xx module, when for the
BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI you have to use the new bcm43xx-80211.

Once modprobe was correctly executed, the wlan0 interface gets up and
you can configure it with system-config-network.

P.D.: I did have to add this line to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias wlan0 bcm43xx-mac80211