Raid one

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Aug 15 15:07:05 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:

>>> Disk failure is the most likely thing to go wrong, just not the only
>>> thing so you still need some other kind of backups.  Raid has the
>>> advantage that you can recover more quickly if you go down at all
>>> (IDE drive failures often hang the computer until you remove them)
>>> and you don't lose the data past the last backup run.  Disks are
>>> pretty cheap these days and they fail unpredictably about like light
>>> bulbs.  If you want to make things slightly easier, set up a machine
>>> with 3 or 4 disks and don't bother with raid on the system portion
>>> which you can easily re-install.  Just add a pair of drives with one
>>> big parition in a raid1 configuration and move your /home to it - or
>>> set it up that way during the install.  Then you just have to save
>>> or remember any special configurations in /etc and keep your
>>> important work under /home.
>>>
>>    I see the white knuckles part is where your trying to copy, for
>> example /usr/ from the working f7 to the raid-1 partition for /usr/.
>> It seems that you can drop clear back to a basic window with
>> Ctrl-Alt-F1 and use after logging in as root, # cp -at /usr /dev/md6.
>> This should work fine :-)
>>
>>    Still it is a worry. But I see how to do it. Now to write it down :-D
>
> You left out a couple of steps there.  You have to make a filesystem
> on /dev/mdxx and mount it in some tmp directory for the copy.  Then
> you do the copy using the tmp mount point, then add an entry in
> /etc/fstab to mount where you want after a reboot, rename the old
> directory and create a new, empty one for the real mount point, and
> reboot.  And you probably want /home instead of /user.   With this
> approach you don't destroy your existing copy until you know the new
> one works.  If it fails for some reason (like forgetting to set the
> partition types to FD and they aren't detected at bootup), you can
> always boot the install cd in rescue mode and fix things or put the
> the old directory back.

    Yes you have to make a number of partitions on the new hard drive.
Then you have to make the same number of /dev/md1, /dev/md2 ... /dev/mdx
where x= number. You do this with:

# mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 missing

Read man mdadm and you will see it IS the raid tool.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User