status of fixes for yum-updatesd. Any News?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Aug 15 15:16:39 UTC 2007

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I am disappointed to say that the yum-updatesd still does not update
> anything.  Who does it work for?

Did you edit /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf and change "do_update = no"
to "do_update = yes"?

> I can run yum manually and it does see updates.  However, the
> yum-updatesd daemon does not appear to find the updates, or it does
> not find them.  Then it locks up the yum process, as in:
>
> # yum update
> Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 2862. Aborting.

I think the problem may be in your setup. The default setup does not
automatically install updates. From the man page:

yum-updatesd  provides notification of updates which are available
to be applied to your system. This notification can be done either
via syslog, email or over dbus. Configuration is done via the
yum-updatesd.conf(5) file.

One way to use it is to have a client running on the desktop that
pops up and tells you about updates. You then have the option of
installing them. One program that does this is puplet. (I believe
Gnome normally starts this when you log in.)

Mikkel