status of fixes for yum-updatesd. Any News?

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Wed Aug 15 19:04:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 12:40 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On 8/15/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> > Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > I am disappointed to say that the yum-updatesd still does not update
> > > anything.  Who does it work for?
> > >
> > Did you edit /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf and change "do_update = no"
> > to "do_update = yes"?
> >

> > > I can run yum manually and it does see updates.  However, the
> > > yum-updatesd daemon does not appear to find the updates, or it does
> > > not find them.  Then it locks up the yum process, as in:
> > >
> > > # yum update
> > > Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 2862. Aborting.
> > >
> > I think the problem may be in your setup. The default setup does not
> > automatically install updates. From the man page:
> >
> > yum-updatesd  provides notification of updates which are available
> > to be applied to your system. This notification can be done either
> > via syslog, email or over dbus. Configuration is done via the
> > yum-updatesd.conf(5) file.
>
> In the original post, I gave my config, which IS set to auto update.
>

> [main]
> # how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
> run_interval = 3600
> # how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
> updaterefresh = 600
>
> # how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
> emit_via = syslog
>
> # automatically install updates
> do_update = yes
> # automatically download updates
> do_download = yes
> # automatically download deps of updates
> do_download_deps = yes
>

> > One way to use it is to have a client running on the desktop that
> > pops up and tells you about updates. You then have the option of
> > installing them. One program that does this is puplet. (I believe
> > Gnome normally starts this when you log in.)
>
> Not acceptable when managing many computers
----
wholeheartedly agree if we are speaking of F7 - after a few updates in
FC6, I got yum-updatesd to work but I have yet to notice any automatic
updates installed on my F7 setup but I haven't search bugzilla and I
also using my own repositories and have little time to track things down
so I haven't said anything.

I thus am agreeing with OP (Paul) that on my network, yum-updatesd with
all 3 entries changed to 'yes' instead of 'no' that I haven't noticed
any update being automatically installed.

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>