how does network install figure out 64-bit from 32-bit?

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 20:08:08 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Rick Stevens <rstevens at internap.com>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:52:44 PM
Subject: Re: how does network install figure out 64-bit from 32-bit?

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 22:18 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hmmm....
>

> > > Assuming the FLASH is /dev/sdb and the ISO is mounted at /media/cdrom,
> > > then:
> > >
> > >     dd if=/media/cdrom/images/diskboot.img of=/dev/sdb bs=512
> > >
> > > Note the "of=/dev/sdb".  You MUST write to the raw device (/dev/sdb),
> > > NOT to the first partition (/dev/sdb1).
> > >

> > > Hi Rick,
> > >
> > > Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. I have been using Linux and
> > hence the dd command. I have done as you suggested here. But, I now get a
> > boot error, which indicates that it is recognized as a boot device, but there
> > is clearly an error.
> > >
> > > So this is what I am doing: Pop the USB flash drive in. Look at nautilus
> > and note that it would get mounted on /dev/sdb1 (except I have not mounted
> > it). So, then I use the command above, and yank it out. Is this the right
> > thing to do?
> >
> > If you see it in Nautilus, it's being mounted.
>
> But I don't see it as mounted in nautilus. Just that it is there. Indeed, I
> make sure it is not mounted.
>
> You need to close the
> > Nautilus window first, then right click on the icon in your desktop for
> > the FLASH device and "Unmount volume" (or run "umount /dev/sdb1" in a
> > terminal as root).  Do NOT unplug the FLASH device or it'll mount again.
> >
> > Now, with the device unmounted, do the "dd" command, but specify
> > "of=/dev/sdb", NOT "of=/dev/sdb1" in the "dd" command.
> >

> I have done exactly the same thing. Just to clarify the following is the file I
> am copying:
>
> wget -c
> http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/diskboot.img
>
> And then I use the dd command:
>
> dd if=/media/dvd/images/diskboot.img  of=/dev/sdb bs=512
>
> but to no avail. Is it possible that I am making a mess somewhere? Is it that
> bs has to be something else?
>
> Note that I do potentially get a bootable USB since it says boot error, rather
> than OS not found.

Oh!  Then you're burning the FLASH correctly.  Are you sure this is a
64-bit system?  You've downloaded the 64-bit version of the image and it
won't boot on a 32-bit system.  Try it again, but use

http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/images/diskboot.img

and try it.

Hi Rick,

Thanks! On the off-chance, I tried the same thing last night and right now. But I get the same error. Btw, it appears the the file diskboot.img is the same whether it is in i386 or x86_64 but I specifically used the two links separately.

Btw, I have looked at the image file later (after mounting on nautilus) as a file system: the stuff is all there as should be.

I am very confused. The OS I am copying this on is 32-bit but the machine (thinkpad t61) I am trying to set this on is 64-bit and the BIOS has a 64 number which would seem to suggest that.

Any other suggestions? Many thanks again for putting up with my desire to understand the process.

Best wishes,
Trotter