Fedora 7 Hanging at rpcbind on Boot

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Thu Aug 16 01:05:05 UTC 2007

Back on May 23th there was a message posted from David Hough:

> I've just upgraded an FC5 system to FC7 test 4 and it hangs during
boot
> when trying to start rpcbind. If I do an interactive boot and tell it
> not to start rpcbind then it'll get all the way to login quite
happily,
> although anything that depends on rpc running obviously doesn't come
up.

> Strangely, if I then start rpcbind, it'll come up quite happily.
>
> Is there anything obvious I ought to be checking, before I dive in and
> look more closely, or should I give up and do a clean install? (The
> purpose of this one was to practice the upgrade on a spare machine
prior
> to playing with the main one)
>
> Dave

Has anyone else run into this?  I just started to, for some reason.
Fedora 7 had been working just fine.  I set up NIS and suddenly rpcbind
practically hangs the system.  I say "practically" because the system
will still run, but it takes 10 minutes to execute a simple directory
listing ("ls -l").  BTW, the system load is nominal--nothing spiking the
processor.

What I've found is that if I start rpcbind before network then
everything cooks along perfectly.  If I start network with no interfaces
brought up (not even the loopback) it still causes rpcbind not to listen
on any port.  Another thing strange: rpcbind would complain that it
couldn't bind (both tcp and udp) because the "address (*) was in use,"
but netstat doesn't show anything at all.   I booted to single-user mode
and just tested various scenarios so I know there are no other services
masking the real problem.

I've switched the order of startup so that rpcbind starts before
network, but I'd rather understand and fix the problem rather than hack
around it.

Any ideas??

-- Mark C. Allman,
PMP