GRUB trouble

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Aug 16 13:49:13 UTC 2007

David Krings wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>     * Sometimes the term refers to controllers where the OS driver
>> and card's on-board flash BIOS provide 100 percent of the RAID
>> capability. This is called software RAID, or less flatteringly, fake
>> RAID.
>>
> Really? AFAIK a fake RAID is considered a RAID controller that doesn't
> have its own CPU and RAM, but uses resources of the main system.
> Software RAID is when the OS itself performs the RAID functions
> regardless if there is a RAID controller or not. As long as you have
> (ideally) two identical drives, you can create a software RAID on any
> system.
>
> David

You cut out the part where this is one definition of RAID that is
applied to hardware. I believe that the definition of software RAID
covers both cases. The first definition covers what the OP has. It
is one type of software RAID. Linux software RAID is a type of
software RAID as well.

Please note, I gave the source of the definition in the original
post. Where is your definition of fake RAID from?

Mikkel