FC7 kickstart:No CDROM devices found

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Aug 16 15:41:26 UTC 2007

jiesun wrote:
> Hi,
>   I tried to install FC7 from cd (with customized cd) on kontron with usb cdrom but I always got error measage dialog saying can't find kickstart file at cdrom:/ks.cfg. and ask the  kickstart location. At the command line prompt, I saw error message "No CDROM devices found". But if I press OK button, the install will continue.
> So looks like the first time the FC7 can not detect the usb cdrom automatically. But after you press OK, it will find the kickstart file from cdrom and installation continue successfully.
>
>    Any idea why FC7 can't detect usb cdrom?

I often see the same behavior.

My belief is that there is a timing problem in anaconda.  Or rather, a
sequencing error.  Certain things must happen before other things can
work.  That sort of thing.

Every type of system can behave differently.  Take two motherboards from
the same manufacturer with different chip sets.  One will get the
usb_storage module loaded in time to get the iso image mounted, and one
will not.  In fact, the slow one takes an additional 10 seconds before
it will recognize the usb driver AFTER anaconda first tries to use it to
mount a usb device.  The operator has to hit back, and then select hard
drive from the menu (but not too quickly).  And just to muddy the
waters, the ones that are slow to load the usb_storage module have much
faster CPUs.

To make it clear, usb_storage is not the only module that is slow to
load, and for which anaconda fails to wait for it properly.

There are lots of systems that use less main stream storage systems,
like fiber channel.  We are currently playing with some that will load
in proper sequence one out of 10 tries.  Very annoying when you are
trying to automate installs for a wrack of blade systems.

Good luck!