raid-one

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Aug 16 20:22:42 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>> The tricky parts are dealing with what happens if you make duplicate
>>> filesystem labels and making the new drive bootable.  But those can
>>> be fixed with a rescue-mode boot.
>>>
>> Well guys I just set up my first raid-1 system. Here is what it said:
>>
>> [root at k5di etc]# cat /proc/mdstat
>> Personalities : [raid1]
>> md5 : active raid1 sda5[0]
>>      5124608 blocks [2/1] [U_]
>>     unused devices: <none>
>> [root at k5di etc]#
>>
>> I did this over lunch and it took several fdisk efforts lots of root
>> terminal things like mkfs and cp -a and such but now on this computer
>> is all of f7 /dev/sdb5 and on the other hard drive I have /home at
>> /dev/sda5 through the raid 1 system. It appears to be working fine
>> and to do the whole thing requires more repeated things and another
>> step to get grub happy :-)
>

> It can be harder than this, though. Consider what happens after you
> have been doing this for a while and are re-using disks that already
> have auto-detect md devices on them and/or filesystem labels that may
> conflict with ones you are using.  Some of the quirkier disk
> controllers can also map a volume into the position where it was
> configured, even if you move it or move to a different machine.  You
> might pull a disk from the 2nd position on one machine, move it to the
> first position on a different machine and add an unconfigured disk in
> the 2nd position and have the 2nd drive come up as /dev/sda.
>
> But, as long as your new drive hasn't been used, an 'fdisk -l' will
> show you which does not have partitions.
Les you must have had a real hard time with something. I have not moved
a hard drive in 4 years. I don't need to do that here at home. When I
was working years ago I hired a expert to do all those things. I could
still hire an expert but have more fun learning to be one.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User