x86_64 live CD won't boot [SOLVED--sort of]

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Thu Aug 16 21:44:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 12:52 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:

> [...]

I haven't solved the boot from USB problem yet, but there is a
workaround for the DVD driver problem.

In the BIOS, set the ATA controller to compatibility mode.  Then the
live dvd will boot.

In addition, after booting, the X server failed to start.  I
edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed the video driver to vesa.  Then I
issued "telinit 3" followed by "telinit 5" and the X server started.  I
was then able to set the resolution to 1280x800, log out and log in, and
all was well.

Something related to NetworkManager crashes when I attempt to make a
wireless connection.  Haven't figured that one out yet.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu