Re: Has anyone ever made scanning work?

Bruce Byfield wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces redhat com
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces redhat com]On Behalf Of Bill Davidsen
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 3:13 PM
To: For users of Fedora
Subject: Has anyone ever made scanning work?

Has anyone ever made scanning actually work with FC6 or FC7? I have been trying in spare time for months, and bought a brand new Epson perfection 2480 Photo scanner because it was supported.

Have a look at the list of supported scanners at:

http://www.sane-project.org/

And three of the "good" or better ones won't do anything. On any of the systems here which range from 486s to core2quad machine, in both Intel and AMD flavors, running everything from old Slackware thru SuSE, FC{1,4,5,6,7}, and one minimal ubuntu machine.

BTW, the Epson 2480 Photo scanner is listed as "good" which means that
it generally works, but that some features might be missing. There are
lots of Epson scanner models that are listed as "complete" and would
probably be a better choice.

I'd settle for "works" first. Interestingly I can scan from my TV capture card, a webcam, and I think an old parallel port unit, which worked on RH8 years ago. Just the new USB scanner and the expensive SCSI scanner don't work, the two I really want to use.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>