FC7 update - try keepcache and downloadonly

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 17 13:13:39 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 23:51 -0700, elk dolk wrote:
>> I had a fresh installation of FC7 and now I'm trying to update
>> it .When I download large packages like openoffice.org-core
>> update ,which is 76M, after downloading 40 or 50 Mb there is a beep
>> and this annoying socket error and then "timed out trying another url"
>> and it can not find another url .I downloaded openoffice.org-core
>> using ftp in windows
>
> You didn't have to go to the Windows to do that.  You can use tools on
> Linux that support resuming, if you want to do manual downloading.
> "wget" and "curl" are command line tools that can, and gFTP is a GUI
> tool that can.
Tim is correct, if you are having trouble with available mirrors. But
the following might make it easier as well:

By default yum erases files after updates. It might help to put in
/etc/yum.conf:
keepcache=1
failovermethod=priority

so that any downloaded files will be kept.

yum update yum

yum install yum-downloadonly

yum --downloadonly update -x openof* -x evolution -x thunderbird -x firefox

yum --downloadonly update

yum update

If that doesn't get it might help to insert your nearest - most reliable
mirror as a baseurl in /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
That could be a http or ftp site.

DaveT.