smbfs support broken in FC7?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 17 16:55:52 UTC 2007

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd try using tcpdump to determine what host your F7 system is trying
>>> to reach, and then figure out why that's different than what the FC1
>>> system is doing.
>>>
>> I clearly stated in the O.P. that I have done that, and that ping and
>> other protocols work, smbtree can see the machine and read the share
>> names, etc, etc. tcpdup tells me that what's different is the protocol
>> the FC1 and FC7 are offering to the server.
>
> Well, why don't you share the output of tcpdump when you try to connect
> to connect?  I'm not sure what you mean when you say that tcpdump tells
> you that F7 is using a different "protocol".  I'm guessing that you mean
> a different port.  I'm interested in seeing how the remote server
> replies -- specifically any ICMP packets that you receive.  Make sure
> that your tcpdump arguments will print all of the ICMP packets that you
> receive, regardless of their source.

The output when you run mount.cifs when trying to connect to a
Windows 95 machine is more informative, especially if you use the -v
or --verbose option. I think this is the important part...

Mounting Mounting the DFS root for domain not implemented yet

# mount.cifs -v //stylistic/DOWNLOAD /mnt/temp -o ip=192.168.1.2,guest
parsing options: ip=192.168.1.2,guest
ip address 192.168.1.2 override specified

Mounting the DFS root for domain not implemented yet
mount error: can not change directory into mount target
//stylistic/DOWNLOAD

Mikkel