Alternative booting

Hi!

I gave up on getting GRUB to behave consistently in my setup. I squarely blame GRUB for that as there is no reason not to work properly. Anyhow, what are the other reliable boot options other than a boot loader installed in MBR?

I recall from the early Linux days boot floppies as well as booting from Windows was an option. Either way sucks, but is better than what I got now.

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

David