(Slightly OT) powertop - A neat little utility for saving power

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Aug 18 14:45:46 UTC 2007

Hi All,

Sorry, this is a little OT.

I thought would mention on this list a great little utility I stumbled over
whilst surfing the Fedora test/devel lists. Its call powertop and at least on
F7 is available via yum as

 > yum install powertop

I couldn't find any mention of it on this list, so thought I would post a
heads up - sorry if I missed it !

run it (as root) and yoy get a neat little summary of what apps are waking up
your cpu and offers suggestions on how to reduce it. Anyone wanting to save
power, particular on laptops, should take a look at this !

The test list thread.

http://www.nabble.com/reducing-power-usage-of-Fedora---how-you-can-help!-t4243492.html

cheers Chris