Re: rpmbuild FAIL while packaging symlinks

On 19/08/07, Andy Green <andy warmcat com> wrote:

> > ./libmylib.so.1 ln -s /usr/lib/libmylib.so.1 libmylib.so The
> > requirement is /usr/lib directory will have : libmylib.so.x
> > libmylib.so -> libmylib.so.x
>
> Throw out your ln command altogether.  Just place the .so in /usr/lib
> and run /sbin/ldconfig in %post.  It will make the symlinks according to
> the library soname.

That is false advise, however, since you want to create all necessary
symlinks in the %install section in order to include them in the
%files section and the package. If you don't include the symlinks in
the package, but let ldconfig create them, the files don't belong to
any package, which is a packaging bug.

The original poster should give a few more details, such as verbose
output of listing the buildroot and rpmbuild output. We have thousands
of packages in Fedora 6 where rpmbuild does not segfault when
packaging library symlinks, so this sounds very unusual.