Grub

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Aug 19 11:02:27 UTC 2007

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> Back in the times when I was introducing myself to the PC technology for the
> first time, I stumbled upon a so called "Hardware Book" (don't have it any
> more, so cannot give a reference, sorry...). Looking at the contents, my
> attention was drawn to the question "what happens when you turn
snip
> he software is to be booted. While of course it may be different for Mac,
> Commodore, Sparc, Amiga, Atari, and other non-PC architectures.
>
> I hope that it is now a bit more clear as to what is going on between bios,
> grub, kernel and the disk, during the boot process. ;-)
>
> Best regards, :-)
> Marko
>
> Marko Vojinovic
> Institute of Physics
> University of Belgrade
> ======================
> e-mail: vmarko at phy.bg.ac.yu

    Hi Marko, your English is perfect. I just did something that was
interesting but I do not understand why. Using Grub I put it in the MBR
of the Slave hard drive (hd1) and removed the Master hard drive (hd0)
and rebooted. The system booted with just one hard drive but it wrote
this on the screen:

Booting F7

Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS

Press any key

    I have no idea why this was printed but it does indicate some
maximum has been exceeded in BIOS.

    I should get a bare bones new computer this week from TigerTronics
which will have I hope a much newer BIOS that knows about 1 terribyte
hard drives :-)

    This might fix Grub.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI