BIOS startup ??

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Aug 19 19:30:37 UTC 2007

Michael Harpe wrote:
> The things that happen at power-up on most any modern computer are
> pretty much the same. It's dictated by the need to start in an
> orderly, known fashion every time. The idea of bootstrap programs go
> all the way back to the very early days of computers.
    In my first job the computer was turned on every morning. It had a
paper tape reader on front. There was a short tape called boot-up. This
you put in the tape reader and started the computer. It read off the
instructions on how to start from the tape.

> When you push the power button, the system power supply control logic
> senses the closed switch and starts powering up the motherboard. On
> the motherboard there is logic that brings up the chips on the board
> in the proper sequence.
>
> Once the CPU is powered up properly, the logic on the chip senses that
> a power on reset has occured. The CPU logic is setup in a specific way
> such that the chip starts in a prescribed manner each time. This is
> the key to the whole process.

    After the boot-up tape was done there was a much longer paper tape
that got all the things working like a monitor and a keyboard.
> What happens next varies by according to the individual chip
> architecture but in general this is where the BIOS gets involved.
>
> The BIOS (BIOS means Basic Input Output System) resides in a EEPROM or
> FLASH EPROM on the motherboard. This chip contains the program that
> gets the machine started along with the low-level routines that
> interface the operating system with the hardware on the motherboard.
> The CPU starts by loading an address from the last (or first) few
> bytes of this ROM and jumping to that address thus starting the boot
> process.
>
> What happens next is implementation dependent but basically consists
> of setting the machine up to run an operating system and then loading
> the boot block off of the selected boot device. This is usually the
> very first sector of the hard disk.  Once this is completed the same
> thing happens again, the BIOS loads the program into RAM and jumps to it.
>
> Now we're into the loader for the operating system. The loader does
> more preparation for running the OS and loads more of the OS into RAM.
> The next step loads what's called the kernel, which is the core
> operating system. From here you're running the operating system, be it
> Windows, Linux, whatever.
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Mike Harpe, N4PLE
> Sellersburg, IN
    So even 50 years ago there was a boot-up method not a lot different
than now.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User