Channel bonding with diskless clients. How?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 05:11:38 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a cluster configured with a master with a large disk and several
diskless clients.

The kernel configuration allows initial bootstrap and NFS mounting of the
file systems via the eth0 ethernet card. The diskless client has another
ethernet card (eth1), which is unused now.

The boot strapping and initial NFS root mounting works via the single
eth0 card.

But I'd like to channel bond the two ethernet cards on the diskless clients.

As far as I understand, channel bonding requires first to shutdown
the active ethernet card, then configure a bond as the master and
attach the ethernet cards to the bond:
 # ifconfig eth0 down
 # ifconfig eth1 down
 # ifconfig bond0 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.1.1.255 up
 # ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1

However, as soon as I shutdown eth0, the client lost its NFS connection
to the master. I have pulled away the carpet under my own feet....and
the client freezes up.

Is there a way to circumvent this problem?
Can I channel-bond a connection, without shutting down the active
ethernet card?

Thank you.
Rob.