rc.local

Justin W jlist at jdjlab.com
Mon Aug 20 16:23:42 UTC 2007

edwarner99 at yahoo.com wrote:
> How do I run a program from rc.local
>
> I have:
> su regularUser -c "cd /home/me/folding; ./FAH504-Linux.exe >/dev/null &"
>
> Nothing happens. I see nothing in the logs. Is there a way to trace
> this down?
> Thanks,
I'm guessing that rc.local is being run in a shell, which once it is
closed, kills any child processes.  You should probably look into the
nohup program (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nohup might be useful). As
to where the nohup should be place, though, is a question I can't
answer.  It might be placed before the `su` or maybe before the
`./FAH504-Linux.exe`.  Someone else will need to help you with that
(maybe just try both...?).

Justin W