X windows freezes on start

I decided to check if X works on my new server and ran into the following problem:

Server starts at run level 3 and operates fine.

When I:

  startx

from the command line, X loads, then when it reaches the point where it displays the splash screen for login, the splash screen flashes up for a moment, with the cursor displaying as a hash of colour, then the screen goes blank.

I can ssh into the machine from another workstation, so the machine hasn't hung. "top" reveals that the X process is now thrashing the CPU away at 100%. But no response from keyboard or monitor of the server itself.

Only way to bring it back is to do a shutdown via the ssh session.

Can anyone suggest how I should go about debugging this issue?

Regards,
Langdon