ACHI support

I installed F7 on a T61 and am trying to work out some of the quirks.
The first one is:

The live DVD and the install DVD both fail to recognize the hard disk if
the controller is in AHCI mode.  The workaround is to switch the
controller mode in the BIOS to compatibility.

It appears from what I've been able to find on the Web that AHCI mode
should be supported by the ahci kernel module.

Is it the case that if I install the ahci driver in the initrd, it will
work with the controller in AHCI mode?

Thanks.

--
                Matthew Saltzman