missing piece of HDD while installed F7 for thinkpad T61

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Aug 22 01:55:03 UTC 2007

Globe Trotter writes:

> Hi,
>
> I bought a new T61 with a 120 GB HDD which came installed with Vista Home. My
> original plan was to have a Linux system with 103 GB for /usr/local, 6GB for /,
> 1 GB for swap and 2GB for /tmp. I planned on 8 GB for Windows.
>
> However, the Vista Home basic was too much for me so I scrapped it and got XP
> Professional installed (very limited). Then I tried to install Fedora. But
> Fedpra can only see 114.8 GB of diskspace, including the XP NTFS partition.
> Question: where did the remaining 5GB part of the HDD go?

Nowhere. Disk drive manufacturers count 1 megabyte as containing 1000
kilobytes, and 1 gigabyte as containing 1000 megabytes, mostly to screw you,
because, since time immemorial, 1 megabyte always contained 1024 kilobytes,
and 1 gigabyte always contained 1024 megabytes.

Thankfully, 1 kilobyte is still 1024 bytes, in disk-speak.

$ bc
bc 1.06
Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type `warranty'.
scale=6
1024 * 1000 * 1000 * 120 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024
114.440917