state of the art WRT encrypted filesystems?

RavenOak ravenoak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 18:07:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 07:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> what's on the leading edge regarding encrypted filesystems on linux
> these days?  everything suggests ecryptfs, but i just want to know
> what the other viable (and relatively modern) alternatives are.
> thanks.
>
> rday
>
> --
> Robert P. J. Day
> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
> Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
> http://crashcourse.ca

I use the cryptsetup-luks package.  I have a USB drive partitioned in
two slices, first one formatted VFAT the other setup using LUKS and
formatted ext2.  I plug in my thumb drive, it auto-detects both
partitions, mounts the VFAT and asks for a password for the other then
mounts it.  It can use any crypto scheme compiled into the kernel, I use
aes-cbc-essiv:sha256.

--Tim