bash cli

Stuart Murray-Smith eight32 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 07:58:42 UTC 2007

> > First, what you call a "cli" appears to be a command.
>
> He undoubtedly uses cli for Command Line Interface, in other words
> commands in a terminal window.
>

> Stuart,
>
> I re-read your first few postings and I thought I understood what you
> are looking for but still not certain.  I understand that you want to
> the history stack to see previously executed commands (which by the
> way for the benefit of some who seem to be confused, does not get
> populated by commands within a bash shell, only the shell command
> itself populates the history).
>
> So if your script did an ifconfig followed by a httpd restart, then a
> lsof command, you want to be able to call back the output of those
> commands as they were produced when they ran?  I know the script
> command will allow you to output commands and their output to a file.
> And certainly a redirect (either of the entire script at execution, or
> of individual commands within the script) will do that (or the tee as
> was suggested if you want both STDOUT and redirect to a file).  But
> I'm under the impression that this is something that you've seen done
> before simply through a keyboard shortcut that calls the STDOUT stack
> which you can then scroll through, which differs from what I and
> others have suggested to date.
>
> Is that correct?

Thanks Jacques :-)

Yes, this trying to uncover something without knowing what it's called
has proven to be quite interesting :-) The functionality I'm after is
seemingly couched somewhere in the 'readline' function:

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?readline+3

or hopefully in a key-binding described here:

http://info2html.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/info2html-demo/info2html?(readline.info.gz)Function%2520and%2520Variable%2520Index

For all I know the functionality I have in mind could have been
deprecated, and hopefully after I've read through the docs I'll be
able to post a SOLVED.

Thanks again to everyone for their invaluable insight and assistance,
and have a great day! :-)

Regards,

Stuart

--
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.